Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Normal People



Normal People
Author: Sally Rooney
Publication: 30 August 2018

The biggest attraction between Marianne and Connell is a significant difference. Marianne has a wealthy family but less emotional connection; meanwhile, Connell's mother works as a janitor in Marianne but treats Connell well and raises him carefully. Connell's personality appeals to Marianne and extracurricular performance, and Connell envies Marianne's family, which can provide her with a quality education. The plot setting is similar to Titanic and other famous works.
It is hard for me to befriend someone who is literally different or even contrasting because the gap might result in an unbalanced status in the relationship. In the novel, the meaning of scholarship is different between them. For Marianne, it is proof of efforts and hard work, but for Connell, fortune can support him to be educated and live. Having a satisfying conversation with people with different values or thoughts is hard for me, but sometimes I will be inspired by the difference. For example, I would suddenly realize the aspect I had never thought of before during the conversation with whom I classify as a different social circle. 
Based on my experience, I have usually been friends who share similar backgrounds or hobbies. When I step into a new environment, I will find people who seem to have similar personalities. I will try to be close with those people sharing different features, but there are many difficulties adapting to each other. If I want to keep the original personality and not concede in the future, the best way is not to have too much emotional connection with them. In many works, the adaptions between two people are appealing and fascinating. The public prefers to see the conflict and collision, yet the process is harsh—the collision results in a colorful splash or broken remains.
As for me, I will be attracted by someone who has the feature that I don't have. For example, I would observe one of my classmates in elementary school because she is full of imagination and art. However, I would not try to be close to her. It is hard for us to have a harmonious relationship. Rather than being intimate with her, I want the feature she owns. We will always try to hold the stuff we don't own, like personalities or abilities.
Connell and Marianne have been on and off for years, which reminds me of One Day. Nevertheless, it is hard for people to do so under reality's concern. It took time to figure out the explanation of relationships among people, so most people will decide to end the relationship that makes them suffer. Instead of being damaged, most people will choose to on the way, which is not their first choice but the smooth one.
In my opinion, that is the reason why people enjoy drama or noel works; the plot fulfills the imagination that they can't easily reach in real life. The way that the character chooses comforts the pity of people under the restriction of concerns and the society.

4 comments:

  1. This book is on my list for so long, but I guess I'll watch the drama first when I'm available. I'm also that kind of person who always make friends with poeple who have similar hobbies or personalities with me. It takes me courage to be close to people who have totally different background from me. But I believe I can do that! I have to step out of my comfort zone one day. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm also the person who wants to befriend similar interests, and I believe 70% of the people are this kind of person. Of course, I make friends first with those whose personalities are like mine. But I'd love to make friends with those different people. (I mean different from me.) I think I can learn something from them, and I'm also curious about what's their thoughts! I think making friends from every background is very important and it's advantageous in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you a lot. I also prefer being a friend with someone who has a similar personality and background. But for a crush, I would prefer someone better than me in all the ways. Then I could learn or absorb some new knowledge and experience.
    However, since I entered university, I met lots of people who have very different backgrounds, but they are willing to be friends with me. From my experience, I think we just need a bit of courage to talk to new people to make new friends.
    I read that book last year as homework, but I forgot some of the parts and the ending, so I'm excited to see your summary and reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting that you'd be attracted by someone are not that similar characteristic. People always argue on whether meeting a general similar trait friends or completely opposite are better. It always come to me that as long as they both have a common subject to interact on. In my perspective, friends could be wide trait spectrum as long as we can bear it. XD Plus, different experience will bring us more diverse view of things. Personality that I couldn't quickly put myself in their position are mostly what I desire to meet with, I thought it would be a highly intriguing conversion. Don't you think?

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: The Moon and Sixpence

  The Moon and Sixpence is a novel released by W. Somerset Maugham, an English playwright, novelist, and short-story writer, in 1919. The ...