Monday, March 21, 2022

Everything I Never told you: The contradiction of My Siblings



        Hi everyone. I'm your girl Joyceline again. Finally, I had read the second half of "Everything I never told you" in my spare time. It is beyond my view of the novel plot I have read before. The second half of the book is more tragic than the first. Indeed, as my log1, I introspect my relationship between my family, friend, and boyfriend through this novel. In my perspective, this novel will become a hot hit film because of its every climax, detail, and vivid writing style. Therefore, I made primary and secondary characters images to give you more empathy when going through what I have learned in this novel.

Summary

        The story came to the mother, Marilyn, who has come home. Hence, she still misses her children and finds out that she's pregnant and her name is Hannah. However, Hannah, the third child of Lee's family, is ignored by her parents. The Lees family uses silence to cover the problem between their relationship. For instance, The Lees had tried to forget mother had once left without saying goodbye. But it lingered, like a bad smell. It had suffused them so deeply it could never wash out. This issue causes the three children to hesitate the habit of not expressing their true feelings in their life problems. Moreover, the reader could notice children have to fight for attention from their parents through the old brother and Lydia's interaction. These three siblings' complicated relationships as if they reflected my actual siblings' relationship and family education.

The contradiction of My Siblings

       My family has three children, as the Lees family in this novel. I am the third child in the family. The love from parents is different from the third child in the story. I'm the favorite girl of my parents; even my brothers sometimes complain to my mother. As the favorite child, I suffer from Princess Syndrome a bit. My confidence is built by others' compliments, and I usually have an impressionable mind. It has several disadvantages of being the most favorite child. Even though I am twenty-one, I don't know how to cook a meal, drive a car, and manage financially. As the third child of the book, the compression resistance and independent ability are what I lack in my personality. This point could be mentioned in the sibling's relationship with my brothers. I realize my attitude is horrible at building confidence from others' compliments. The motivation for getting good grades is to make my parents proud of me. I proved that I was the perfect child for my brothers. Once, I got into a fight with my young brother, and he complained that my parents used grades to value the children's value. It was a standard error judging a person by its score in Taiwan's traditional culture. This social stereotype also occurs in Lee's family education, a Chinese American family. However, both my family and Lee's family have a standard way of trying to reach the developmentally appropriate. 

    On the other hand, my relationship with my brother was closer in my childhood than now. It is contradictory to living about twenty-one years together, and I gradually don't know my siblings. The old brother and younger sister have the same brown eyes as their Asian American father in the story; Lydia, the main character, has blue eyes like her American mother. These character settings reveal the nuance behind the story's development.

In contrast, my younger brother and I were like two peas in a pod during childhood. We both have two small eyes and single-fold eyelids. I am closer to my younger brother than the older one. However, when I grew up, my older brother and I were made from the same mold, and we had the same big eyes with double eyelids. This consequence is the gene chosen by your following personalities and encounters in your future life. In addition, humans usually read others' minds through their eyes, let alone in this pandemic. Individuals only could see others' eyes in the first impression. The eyes are the windows to the soul. Eyes are the tunnel of expressing one's feelings and emotions. A phrase reminds me of the spirit in "Lady on fire," a movie annals the female gender in the eight teen century. The film uses the gaze movement in lots of the plots rather than letting character speak up their thoughts. I consider this is why I chose silence to speak up my words to my brothers.    

The motivation for calling my family is when I read through the second half of the chapters. It was a long period of not caring for my siblings. Once, when I passed my brother's bedroom, I heard his weeping, but I ignored his sadness and pretended as if it had never happened. I regret at all my selfishness to my most relative person. I like the one in this novel as if this book is my diary. Suppose there's an answer at the end of the book. I desire to find the solution behind the complex connection with my loved family.

  

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Joyceline. I do feel what you say by parents judging kids with grades. I've always been the "smarter" one in my family, so I'm always my father's favorite. On the other hand, my brother is not very good with study, but he has talents in games, sports, any other thing he likes, and the talents are confined and destroyed gradually by my father's wrong value of prioritizing grades. I'm actually partially guilty in this, too. I got too much pride because of my father's favor, and I used it to mock my brother and thought that he has no talent at all. However, when I grew up, I realized how wrong I was, but it was too late to undo the wrongs when my brother's already become a bit introvert because of how he grew up. My father regrets how he treated his son, too.


    (I now think I should've used this as my essay 2's topic cuz it's way more personal.)

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: The Moon and Sixpence

  The Moon and Sixpence is a novel released by W. Somerset Maugham, an English playwright, novelist, and short-story writer, in 1919. The ...