Tuesday, March 22, 2022

The Book of Moods: WORK

  


This chapter talks about every kind of mood when doing our job. This author was an editor, and she was almost like a deputy manager to help run the department. As one of the supervisors, she needed to become a working model; offering spiritual support to her subordinates and providing physical assistance of work were stressed her out. The author once made a mistake at work, and what she first thought about how I should explain to my boss and subordinates? Of course, this was not the first time she made mistakes in the job, but her position was different this time. The boss would need to compensate and apologize to clients, and her subordinates' efforts were all drained by her careless action. She had a mental breakdown in the bathroom, yet she had no choice but to wipe her eyes and walk out to fix the problem.

  Honestly, this story is too ordinary to read, But it is, at the same time, so touching and so down-to-earth. 

  Recently I have been through some setbacks from my job as a project manager in an NPO. I decided to take this job in February, and I thought it would be a new opportunity to gain work experience, but I was WRONG. For example, I don't have strict work hours, and I thought it would be great for me since, in this way, I would be more capable of dealing with a variety of tasks. However, after approximately one month, I realized that I could not fit in this work. I am the type of person who needs to draw a line between work and home, and I did not even notice that before I accepted this job. It is extremely hard for me to tolerate endless work messages and calls, though I clearly know that is part of my job. I feel frustrated and less motivated at home because I cannot just relax and chill in my private space. In comparison, my colleague, who is relatively enjoying this working environment, tells me that he is doing quite well, for he is getting used to it and finding it more productive and effective.

  I felt more depressed after hearing his comments about my confession.

  Well, to think it in the optimistic way, now I know I need to find a job with regular work hours (wry smile).

3 comments:

  1. Same as you, I have a line between work and my home. When I'm at home, I just want to relax and do nothing. I don't have any motivation to finish my work at home. That's why I need to study at the library or the cafe.
    And I think I can share the feelings with the author of making mistakes on my job. Recently, I worked at a coffee shop. Because I'm new to that place, so I sometimes made mistakes like break the cups or make the wrong coffee. I feel very embarrassed and depressed when I made some troubles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much related to your experience! Although I didn't get a job that is challenging, I decided to take a club officer when it was about to be in the second year in college. I thought I would be different, strong and well-organized person, but didn't think I would be badly battered. There are so many things waiting for me to deal with even til now. Hundreds of times have I doubted my capacity. Nothing can be done well. While I look around others, they are still shinning as stars. This is really a vicious circle. Wish you could get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah well, I see you. But please not blame yourself, it's just what we faced when we're still exploring. We are in an age that allows attempts and learning, that's why we're in campus, not fully in a workplace.
    I understand it's hard for you now and you feel sorry for not adapting to the job. But try to think of this way: you've know yourself more. You realised what you need and what makes you feeling inadequate. It's a good thing, you are more approaching to a suitable job! Isn't that great?

    As you say, this story might be ordinary, but maybe because of that, it gives reader sympathy or even putting themselves into the characters.
    Looking forward for your next post. 😁

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: The Moon and Sixpence

  The Moon and Sixpence is a novel released by W. Somerset Maugham, an English playwright, novelist, and short-story writer, in 1919. The ...