Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Things to do on 3/23

Dear all,

I just shared a story from a young Ukrainian refugee, about 20, just your age. I always try to, or intuitively, feel what people feel in their writing. With the help of the many news reports and stories I read, understanding their situations, empathizing with their feelings, and introspecting how I'd do and feel if I were a Ukrainian become easier and more heartbreaking. And this is a narrative essay that resonates among readers.

For tomorrow, I will still invite some of you to do your sharing. Hope you'll have something to offer no matter who will be invited. Among the more beautiful models of narrative essays, I can only share one more, which is a classic piece by Hellen Keller, published in Atlantic Monthly, 1933, coupled with clips of the 

Since some of you seem to have questions about how to develop an appealing lead-in for an essay and how to wrap up your essay nicely, we will go through several strategies to help you improve in this regard. Then you'll do peer review with your group members focusing on lead-in and conclusion. I have uploaded the material to our blog. Please bring your laptop for reading and discussion. I have decided to reduce printing out paper handouts, though I still have prepared some.

Before the peer review session, a peer review workshop will be given to help make the session more constructively and effectively. 

See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: The Moon and Sixpence

  The Moon and Sixpence is a novel released by W. Somerset Maugham, an English playwright, novelist, and short-story writer, in 1919. The ...