Tuesday, April 5, 2022

An Abundance of Katherines

    Welcome to my log 5! This semester, I choose three books to read and write my reading log. This is the last book, "An Abundance of Katherines". I was looking for my last book in the library. And suddenly I was attracted by the cover of this book. Also, the book title was extraordinary. I google the book for introduction, then I realized this is a book about love. It has a nice book cover and pretty good content. So, I decided to borrow the book from the school library! 

Book Intro

    This book was written by John Green. The author has another famous book called “The Fault in Our Stars.”, which I think is more familiar to most of you. It also adapted to movie in 2014.

    The main character in ”An abundance of Katherines” is Colin Singleton. When it comes to relationships, Colin’s type happens to be girls named Katherine. Not Kate, or Katie, or Catherine, it must be K-A-T-H-E-R-I-N-E. He had dated nineteen girls, all of them had been named Katherine. And all of them, every single solitary onehad dumped him!

    The summer of senior high graduation, Colin was dumped by the nineteenth Katherine. In order to get rid of the pain, Hassan, Colin’s friend, suggested to have a road trip. Then they embarked on a journey without destination. During the journey, Colin gave himself a task. Using the past experience to create a formula to predict the future of one relationship.

Reflection

    Actually, I only read 10 chapters until I write the log. So I would basically write about the first 10 chapters. In the beginning of the book, it was the morning after Colin graduated and was dumped by the nineteenth Katherine. Colin took a bath. It seemed to be the best way for him to escape, escaped from the melancholy. The author mostly write about the interaction between Colin and his family. His parents sat together on his bed, waiting to comfort Colin's bad mood. I probably understand how painful the break-up is. Because many friends would come to me and complain about her ex-boyfriend. I think the author is very good at describing people's emotions. I can feel the same when reading his text. It really puts me into the situation. Also, when you break up with someone, it's critical to find a person to talk to. In the book, Hassan came to comfort Colin. Try his best to make Colin laugh. Finally Colin's mood is getting better because of the companion of Hassan. Friends are always important in our life. Imagine this, if you're under lots of sorrow but no one can listen to you and help you share the feelings, isn't that pathetic? 


2 comments:

  1. It's fun of Colin to have 19 ex gf :) Like a curse spelled on him, but I quite like it.
    About friendship, CAN'T agree more on that. Whenever I am upset, my dear friends always show up like hero saving me from the desperation. We need not lots of friends, but we need ones knowing ourselves by sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agreed with you! When my friend broke up with her ex, it seemed that her world was going to collapse. Nothing would pique her interest. Therefore, I had to stay with her for days to ensure that she wouldn't do any dangerous things. It must be really hard to get through a relationship for Collin, especially 19 times.

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: The Moon and Sixpence

  The Moon and Sixpence is a novel released by W. Somerset Maugham, an English playwright, novelist, and short-story writer, in 1919. The ...