Sunday, April 3, 2022

Everything I Never told you: Forget and Return

         

Image1: Author with her book

"Forgetting and returning and It’s never too late,” two quotes, reveal the core of the whole of Lee's story. 

Summary& Analyze

In the end, every main character finally communicates with each other. (You can find the characters chart in my log4.) Even they didn't truly understand each one of their heartfelt feelings. This action has become their connection with each other, causing Lee's family to have a common mistake: that they only pursue self-mind. For instance, Asian American fathers are eager to be involved in American society; American mothers want to be outstanding in this patriarchal society, and biracial old brothers are eager to get out of their families. From my perspective, Lydia is dead because of this separate family, which is delicate to touch on every issue around the Lees. They choose to forget the horrible memories, but it returns again and again. The cycle has never ended, as if destiny is never endless. Chapter twelve is the most moving part; they finally accept the truth of Lydia's death and are willing to face their fear. Nath, Lydia's closest brother, once dived into the water, imagining the hurt of his lovely sister, Lydia. "From where he floats, her upside-down face is right-side up, and he dog-paddles toward her. He doesn't want to dive underwater and lose sight of her face," this paragraph represents the author's decision that let Nath end the story because only he knows Lydia's personality best. It also reveals the bravery of forgetting the painful emotions of the past away from family. All in all, family members are like a puzzle; they can't lose each piece.  


Torn between Two lovers

       Jack, Lydia's boyfriend, is known as a player. Nerveless, Lydia was attracted by his rebelliousness. People will love the one that has a unique feature that they don't own. In other words, they pursue the other side of themselves. Jack pursues family love; Lydia pursues freedom. It leads to nobody being perfect. People meet and associate with each other to complement each other. However, the climax between these two lovers is Jack uncovering their pain for Lydia. "At least, I know what I want. You never know what you want to do," a phrase that reminds me of my hurt with my boyfriend. I was as confused as Lydia. I tried to be a GOOD DAUGHTER, but I always lost my mind. My boyfriend's independence, critical thought, and self-goal appeal to me. However, I have a massive conflict with my boyfriend because he touches my deep pain of a sense of inferiority. He said the exact phrase as Jack in the novel. On that night, I think about my self-value with tears. Lydia also goes back to the lack and proves that she could swim to redeem her soul. Unfortunately, she eventually dives into the lake. Jack is the last straw that breaks the camel's back.

From the objective angle, it is not a big idea. That's the way the cookie crumbles. However, an individual never could go through others torn; even if you have the same issue, it could never be similar. It led those humans often are mean to those we love. Every conflict between lovers shows how much they love and respect each other. Hence, relationships enquire to maintain and season. It would help if you were mutually tolerant between the lover. Knowing to accept each other can be happier. However, I would love to say inclusion needs to be learned and criticized. Not every single tolerance should offend your respect. The most memorable memory in a relationship is makeup with him. We quarrel a lot, but we always kiss and make up soon after. After the conflicts, the relationship enhances and gains a deeper understanding. Every couple needs to argue now and then. It could prove that the relationship is strong enough to survive. 


Image 2 (left): Memories of Matsuko/Image 3(right): Everything I Never told you

Memories of Matsuko

Lydia's story could connect with "Memories of Matsuko," a film that describes the life of the Japanese woman Matsuko. Matsuko died nearby her homeland river, and the official police have found her. They are eager to find back the pureness of their childhood. When they find back their memory, God's hopelessness takes away their soul. Lydia and Matsuko are both not comprehended by their family. In other words, they both end in loneliness. Regardless, I like how the director narrates Matsuko's scenario. In the film, Matsuko is optimistic, pure, and fearless. From my standpoint, Lydia also has these personalities, but the author depicts the negative side to the reader. Therefore, the novel chose the deep blue cover; the movie chose the deep red poster. The contrast between these two characters indicates more comprehensively about folks' real life. Humans are contradictory in their personalities; both have pessimistic and optimistic aspects. Accordingly, every human being is an unprecedented miracle. Love ourselves and adore your life.

By the way, I made up my mind to call my family after reading the novel. This Monday, I called my mom in tears. I realize how much I love my family. And how much they love me. If you have any sense of missing your family, call them, and you will feel so much better. It’s never too late to reveal your love for them.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Joyceline.
    I have found that words touched me a lot, "An individual never could go through others suffer, even if you have the same issue, it could never be similar." True! Totally true! People are eager to identify with others, but we forget that what we have experienced does not reoccur to others. Even if it does, others experience feelings differently than we do. In the intimate world, we always hope to accompany and take care of each other, and we always think that we can understand what each other needs and wants. In fact, when we are eager to let each other know what we believe, we will become more prone to violent reactions and conflict.
    Up to now, I still have conflicts with my family and friends over trivial matters. However, every time I communicate with them, I gradually understand that the root cause of conflicts has always been just because of "love." In other words, we often hurt each other inadvertently because of love, which will also lead to many misunderstandings of our original intentions. But what I want to say here is that conflict is not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing. Suppose we can resolve the misunderstanding in the process of conflict; this is also a good phenomenon for a relationship. Still, if the conflict intensifies without solving problems, the conflict can only be the endpoint of a relationship.

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: The Moon and Sixpence

  The Moon and Sixpence is a novel released by W. Somerset Maugham, an English playwright, novelist, and short-story writer, in 1919. The ...