Monday, April 4, 2022

Reflection: Three Sisters (4)

 

Summary for this week:

 

Cibi, the eldest sister. Magda, the middle. Livi, the youngest. Menachem, sisters’ father. Chaya, sisters’ mother. Yitzchak, sisters’ grandfather.

 

One day, a friend of Cibi's came to notify her that she saw Magda in the place she worked. However, she wasn't sure if she was still alive after that. Hearing the news, Cibi tried to find Magda while sending messages to the other block. Fortunately, Magda was seen working within a group too; Cibi then took her back to her block. The three sisters eventually reunite again. After a few days, the sisters saw their mom and grandpa marching in a line. They knew that they were going to be put into the gas chamber. But there's nothing they could do. No one showed them mercy. That was their last goodbye, all of a sudden. What they can do now is to make sure they are all alive, and not to disappoint Chaya and Yitzchak

 

 

Reflection


It's glad to see the three sisters' reunion. It's been a long time since they last saw Magda. However, for their mom and grandpa, it's not a great outcome. I could feel that they were powerless when they saw one another, but they could simply watch them move away. To the sisters, the scene was despair. I was thinking, "If I were they, how could I tolerate the hopelessness? Just watching my dear family go die."  Also, compared to the sisters, Chaya and Yitzchak felt easier in mind when they see their (grand)daughters. I knew that it was all because of concern and duty, as (grand)parents, which would definitely be the first thing they care about no matter how hard the situation is. This occurred to me that every time my parents would always ensure my safety prior to theirs. I think it's the virtue of dedication and selflessness from most parents. After a week, someone from the sorting room gave a bag to Cibi, in which she find their family photos, along with the wedding ring once worn by her mom. That was the heritage of her mom and dad, which represented the proof of their ever-existence. The ring carried the memories they had together. I believe each of us should, if possible, possess a symbol of those who left but were important to us. Life is not reversible, so try to keep everything worthy of collecting. They would become your and others' stories one day in the future.


I would also like to mention an inhumane event that happened. There were four girls who destroyed a chamber and then escaped from the block, but they still got caught by the soldiers. Out of question, they were punished for the "guilt." The other girls were gathered one day in the morning; they were forced to watch the escapees hung on the gallows. If they close their eyes or turn their heads away, their consequences would be the same as the four ones. That was the menace that was done to tell the rest what would happen to them if they dare to slip away. If I were them, I would totally stay, working no matter a chance came to me. I might not risk my life for the sake of uncertain freedom, even to death. I think, probably, not many people can face the fear of death. It's extremely hard. 


Lastly, the Nazis were failing, I strongly believe there will be a great ending for the sisters. I hope so. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jim.
    The plot of this time is really heartbroken. To be honest, when I see my family getting sick, I get uncomfortable and upset, so I precisely can't bear to watch them leave me alone. I can't imagine that and know that the feeling must be tough and despair. However, I deeply understand that death has always been an inevitable outcome for us, and we should try to accept it. I know it's hard, but it's necessary.
    Sometimes a thought pops up in my mind, and I want to share it with you: Human life is indeed short, we can't avoid death, but we can at least let us live an extraordinary life during this time, which also leaves minor marks and memories for ourselves on our "life journey."
    After reading the last part of your reflection, I have different thoughts from yours. If it were me, I would leave. In my opinion, it is better to die happy than to stay in pain because I have worked hard for my life at least. Of course, it doesn't mean that I'm not afraid of death. Just imagine long-term imprisonment, a life without freedom. Isn't it like letting us wait for the end in place? Before I had worked hard for my life, my life was only left to die. Is it sound like this concept encourages me to give up on myself. Therefore, instead of just waiting in place, it's better to take a gamble on striving for ourselves.ψ(`∇´)ψ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Jim. This is Joyceline.
    After reading your blog, it reminds me of the quote. "How people die remains in the memory of those who live on," said Dame Cicely Saunders. The two circumstances from the novel and the news were heartbreaking for me. The book drives me to think about my family; the report makes me think about my self courage. First, the family from the novel could also reflect on my life. As you mentioned, parents are the ones who care more than themselves. As a college student, my parents become my crying points. I seldom came back to my hometown, and I observed that my miss from my family gradually became more robust and more muscular. Hence, I always cry when the movie or novel talks about family relationships. After talking about family, next, I will share my self courage with you. This self-courage is associated with death, and I will stay rather than run away. On the other hand, their situation is to live in hell when they need to face others' death. It is a similar problem when we face a dilemma in our life. Overall, I enjoy self-transformation, which will give me suggestions about my future hardships.

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: The Moon and Sixpence

  The Moon and Sixpence is a novel released by W. Somerset Maugham, an English playwright, novelist, and short-story writer, in 1919. The ...