Tuesday, April 5, 2022

The Book of Moods: Friends

 


    
 Friend, which is probably the most vital thing in a teenager's eyes, is something that may affect one's life experience. The author talked about how she missed all the love and hate between her and her old best friend, Roxanne. In my opinion, this chapter must tug so many readers' heartstrings since it mentioned the GONE friendship. People my age now are not allowed to be called naive anymore. We must have been through some inevitable separations. But we are also not that old to be called mature since we are not getting used to it. We suffer from those already begone friendships, whether before, now, or after.

 The first time when I needed to face the truth that I had lost a friend, I was 16, and it was in the first year of my high school life. At that time, I was trying to balance making new friends and keeping connecting with my old senior high school friends. I had 4 besties when I was a senior high student. After our graduation, three of us stayed in the same city, Taichung including me. Another two went to Tainan and Nantou to pursue their dreams. The one who went to Nantou was called BB because she had a very high voice, and we often told her to shut her mouth (嘴巴閉閉).

 BB went to a vocational high school as I did, and she had to live in the dorm since the shuffle time was too long. As she was a top social mixer, she soon made lots of good friends there, and she was happy about that. However, me and another girl in our group, Tin, thought her new friends were rude since we had heard her friends swear 3 times in a sentence and were outta control when we played online games. We told BB, very carefully and politely, trying not to hurt her feelings, that it was unpleasant to play with her new friends. Also, we thought BB should reflect on herself, for she made such awful friends simply out of lack of company.

 Undoubtedly, BB lost her temper as soon as she realized we did not like her new friends. She screamed that we just despised her and her new friends because they did not get good grades in the Comprehensive Assessment Program for Junior High School Students (會考). She misunderstood our intention, which hurt us. Although we tried to clarify, she shut down the conversation and stopped communicating with us. I realized we really lost her because she left our LINE group.

 It was extremely painful at the beginning. Tin and I could not stop blaming ourselves, and we started regretting our decision to tell BB we did not appreciate her friends. Nevertheless, we knew we were RIGHT. We missed BB, not only her existence but also her funny reactions, disturbing high voice, and lovely face.

 But as I said, some separation is inevitable. Indeed, it is said that we cannot have BB around us anymore, but the value behind her leaving has taught all of us something greater. I still miss her sometimes, and I remember whenever I was down, she would make an ugly face to make me laugh. Perhaps what I truly miss are those golden years that we spent together.

2 comments:

  1. So true we can't avoid losing friends sometimes but at least we used to share pleasant moments. One time I lose my friends was my sudden transfer to the other elementary school. The time we chatted with each other got fewer and fewer and then we never talk again. I still missed her so mush though she doesn't reply my text anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same experience about losing friends, and it happened in my junior, senior high school period. At first, I cared about the relationship very much. I would be very depressed if my friends left me. But I finally realized that friends couldn't force each other. Try not to put so much emotion on the same people would make me feel better.

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: The Moon and Sixpence

  The Moon and Sixpence is a novel released by W. Somerset Maugham, an English playwright, novelist, and short-story writer, in 1919. The ...