Tuesday, May 10, 2022

How to Die Alone: The Foolproof Guide to Not Helping Yourself

 

How to Die Alone: The Foolproof Guide to Not Helping Yourself


 

Nothing wrong if you are a PASSIVE thinker

Bookstore never lacks of books with contents inspiring people to be positive or giving guideline of how to think positively. In this modern times, people are overwhelmed with too much, which may over their endurances. Therefore, people will seek for the solutions to get rid of the unbearable stresses. It is a book works the same with others, but in a way the other way around. It a guideline helping you NOT HELP yourself. Frankly, that sounds a bit depressing and also too passive for children to read. I will say it is not a book for everyone, but it is also for everyone, which depends on how people see this work in their eyes. More or less, it brings a bit negative energy and may affect its readers to think in a way escaping from all the difficulties. However, it is also a lifestyle that helps people get rid of the heaviness depriving their breath, like a temperate hut where they can curl themselves up in security. Sometimes, I somehow get in a condition that I want to hide from my friends, family and life, and I will put on headphone, sinking my mind into deep, deep water. I can hear nothing but my breath. 

Different from my experience, she shares somethings more daily, hilarious or I will say silly. It seems to me that Mo Welch doesn't see herself as a cynical girl, but she is always being honest to herself and all. And to mention more, the scenarios she provides in the book are most modern people will encounter. Instead of confronting it, she deals with awkward stuff in her own way in order to ground herself in this overwhelming world. Instad of telling you to cheer up, she tells you to GIVE UP-- to BE YOUR SELF. Her mindset doesn't work for every single one, but it's so novel of her to help people by teaching them not to help themselves. 

How to hide when you see someone you know in public

One of the chapter is teaching people how to hide from one they know in public. Not from their dear friends, sometimes people get awkward when meeting ones that can neither be categorized into  stranger nor friend. You must have experience that you work with people from other department, but you never talk to each other after conference or presentation. And when you accidentally meet up in public, will you greet to them with arms waving in the air and bright smile? No, least I  won't. I will take a sec to think whether I should say hi or not, for a brilliant reasons. Will them respond me? Do they want to say Hi to me? Do I mistake them for others? So many self-questioning pops up in my inside world, bombarding myself. Then, it usually ends up by a silent passing-by. There are steps  how you can play hide-and-seek in public when seeing familiar strangers and unfamiliar friends. 

  • Jump into the middle of that clothing rack
  • Lie down in that bush
  • Blend into that tree
  • Walk behind that server. (Keep the same pace.)
  • Hold that baby. Look, you're just a passing mom now.
  • Give back that baby. You're ready for that kind of responsibility
  • Jump into that sewer. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were regular turtles before they saw Cerard, the friend they didn't want to talk to.

That's a bit exaggerating, but it's funny of her to avoid meeting people by borrowing other's baby :) Unwillingly or willingly, we have to do unpleasant things to match other's expectations OR fake self-expectation. She shows a sense of freedom and unlimited desire to GIVE UP the stress choking her. In a way GIVING UP life, she saves her life. It is suggested that you don't push yourself too much and have a life accepting the genuine self. Of course, if you oppose her mindset of ideal life, your thoughts may also be one of possible answer of WONDERFUL life, because-- there is no typical answer for reference. I have ambivert personality that cause me sometimes to feel stressed out with socializing stuff and sometimes lonely within disconnected world. Therefore, I am still on my way to my suitable lifestyle. And you? What personalities do you have?

Things that I wonder: 

1. Are you a cynic ?


2. Do you think her ideas of "Helping oneself by teaching them to not helping themselves." an acceptable concept?


3. What do you do when being overwhelmed by the tided-up life and never-ending works? Do you like your life now? 



I would like yo know your answers :))))))))) Please comment belowwwwwww ❤❤❤

That's all for this book. Hope you like it.








1 comment:

  1. Hi Fanny,
    Your blog makes me want to read this book. Same as you, I find it funny using the childhood game and as a way to avoid meeting people. My way of avoiding the awkwardness is to not noticing what has happened lol. But it soon troubles me as I inflamed my friends that I ignored them involuntarily who's waving at me.

    My reply to question 2:
    I remembered one of my secondary school teacher always add a phrase after the reminder of exam time: 'Who still needs time for struggling?' or 'There are no need of struggle'. Striving might be good, but we often go rigid without noticing. Perhaps things may turning around after concede defeat. So, I reckon her "Helping oneself by teaching them to not helping themselves." is a fair concept. As a moderner, we didn't lack of perfect images or role model. Stop comparing or even just take a rest are always acceptable as far as I considered.

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: The Moon and Sixpence

  The Moon and Sixpence is a novel released by W. Somerset Maugham, an English playwright, novelist, and short-story writer, in 1919. The ...