Monday, April 18, 2022

Hillbilly Elegy – 2nd Reflection



    What comes to mind when I say the word ‘hillbilly’? Before reading this memoir, a certain life style would drift into my mind. Men work construction or doing other labor work until their faces and necks are beat red from the sun. Women took care of the lousy and naughty children in the modest homes and cook for the family. Some houses in the neighborhood would have garbage littered in the front yard and the grass was never mowed. This kind of image might ring true in some areas in America; however, it does paint the areas in a negative or gloomy picture.


    The author, J.D. Vance described his family, a generation of Kentucky Hillbilly, as a typical family in the American South. The men worked in factories and came home exhausted. The women cooked and cleaned the house. The children played without a single worry in their minds. And at nights, the husbands and the wives would shout at each other with their full lungs; and sometimes closed-fists would fly out and cause mayhem. This was how J.D.’S mother was raised and how J.D. was raised to a certain extend. However, J.D. also described another side of the hillbilly that people outside of the community often do not see: the fierce loyalty they have for family.

 

    When J.D. was a child, grandma and grandpa took him to a mall. He went into a toy store and began playing with a miniature air plane. The teenage cashier shouted at him for playing with it without paying, and J.D. went outside of the store crying. Regular parents or guardians would probably say something alone the lines of: Well, you shouldn’t go running off like that and taking something without permission. Lo and behold, grandma and grandpa Vance went into the store with clenched fists and crashed everything in the store. Also, they threatened do something really awful to the young cashier because he made their grandson shed a tear. In retrospect, J.D. reflected on the drama and the unnecessary threats that their family often make to protect or get back at somebody else. But that was how a hillbilly treats their family; loyalty always comes first.

 

    Reading this part of the story was truly fascinating because it made the character’s motives clear as day. They did what they did because they believed that was for the greater good of the family. Sometimes, the intention was good; however, it was the execution that made life a living hell for J.D. when he was young.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lea, it's Hannah here.
    Once again, I am truly astonished on how you describe the book. From face value, I would never in my whole acedemic life pick up this book, becuase I never would have know it has so many impactful ideas about community and family. Thank you for making me realize what I am missing out on, and I have already added thsi book in my reading list.
    As a listener of your reflection, I think the author lives a mundane suburban white life, having the comfort of his parents and grandparents' company, and it makes me reflect back on my own interaction with my grandparents overseas. As you all know, my parents are immigrants from the Philippines, with my dad being half Taiwanese and half Filipino. (I am sure you have all heard me share this story a million times, but it is just so interesting for me and it makes up for who I am, and I never would want to shy away from sharing my identity with people. ) Even though I never see my grandparents often, I always remember when I have walking in a park with my grandpa, sharing a coke in a plastic bag with a straw. I was too young to remember all the details, but I do remember how it made me feel, which was at home. To this day, it is still one of my core memory of my childhood, however small or inconsequential it is.
    Thank you for reminding me of the good times I had with my grandpa. I never had much time with him when I was a kid, for I am in Taiwan and he is in the Philippines, and he passed away when I was 12 years old. Though our times were little, I hold him dearly in my heart, because he made me realize small things matter, and spending time with your family is important.
    I hope you have a great semester.

    A friend who is thankful.
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Lea, after reading your introduction to the loyalty of hillbilly, in fact, that loyalty is quite admiring for me. Since Asian parents may blame their children in the first place, I am wondering what it will be like if my parents become protective. Although it does make me feel affectionate from family, it will get others into trouble. As Lea has said, it was unnecessary to ruin the store and threaten the cashier. Maybe the cashier did say something that made J.D.'s grandparents pissed off, but communication is the best way to deal with things.

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: The Moon and Sixpence

  The Moon and Sixpence is a novel released by W. Somerset Maugham, an English playwright, novelist, and short-story writer, in 1919. The ...