Tuesday, April 19, 2022

The Book Thief: The intense PASSION of reading

The intense PASSION of reading  


Reflection: Liesel Meminger, a girl with pure mind and desire for literacy

I started to read novels when turning into third grader because I had gotten enough words stored in mind. I could have own comprehensions on twisted plots and imagination on protagonists that are depicted to have flawless appearances and personalities. It wasn't my choice to learn how to read, but without those knowledges, I would have lost the access to joy brought by the worlds constructed by creative thoughts and free-spirited minds. Perceiving it or not, most of students or modern people take the privilege receiving education granted because there are no barriers stopping people from being educated; instead, most are forced to. Not like us having some many freedom making decisions,  Liesel and the kids in the era of The Book Thief are deprived of rights to read books, not even owning ones. Either throwing books into fire or throwing themselves into fire, they choose live. Remember the times you saying that you gonna burn all of your textbooks once the graduation date comes? Not every being has unstoppable passion to literacy like Liesel, but we should be aware of the privileges we have and be grateful. 

Liesel learns to read books from Hens, her her affectionate stepfather, which starts her path exploring the unknowns, walking on the spacing between lines. Initially, she is a piece of paper without a single color on it. Pure, innocent, but tedious and hollow. Therefore, she can't help but fell in love with the feelings indulging herself inputting words in mind because that saves her by refilling the hollows that kills her–the loss of her family. Besides, in the era without high-tech, reading books spices her daily up, like a child receive a set of colorful crayons. we phubbers give all attention to phones and can stop scrolling. Isn't that similar to Liesel just can stop turning pages. A Book Addiction waters her withered spirit, but poisons her life. Despite the risk being sentenced, she tries to keep on reading at all costs. It is really fool of her doing so, for she put people around in danger. Meanwhile, it is brave of her being a thief stealing her rights back from Nazi authorities. She fights as  the rep for a group of people who are willing to devote themselves to what they love. She is the exact model that I would like to become. 

 Why do people read books or become life-long readers? 

☑︎To learn how to read so they acquire the ability to write

☑︎To entertain themselves

☑︎To seek a sense of recognition 

☑︎What's your?

Reasons of people opening books can vary form people to people, and for many, books are necessary to exist because it frightens them out by only imaging life without papers documented incredible stories. To think about it, many master pieces affects our life in art, movie-filming, romance, profound thoughts an so on. If literacy doesn't exist and no writers compose, pieces that we value in modern time would have been created. If people don't read, there would be no motivation to compose. 

I don't know about others, but I know my propose of reading. Sometimes when I find the figures in novels or authors hold same beliefs,  I somehow feel recognized by those I have never met and they later  become mentors that I can turn to. For instance, from time to time, I need space to be alone to collect myself and they help me go through the whole process. 

 It seems to me that having same mind sets with eminent authors  is thing worthy to be proud of. Although I don't write, someone gifted with writing  talents will, which is why I admire them, respect them and appreciate them. 


So what's your REASONS reading books? I really wanna know!  😆😆😆

 

 

 

 

 
 



4 comments:

  1. For me, the book is always assistance that leads me the right way. Same as your opinion, whenever I face some difficulties, books always be a supporter and a textbook to advise me which way I should choose.
    Additionally, I read a book because the book has the magic to take me into the other world. We only live once, but I always believed in trying a different life. Books only show the story by text, and we can change the narrative by imagining. So I always put myself as a protagonist and imagine the book's story is mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you said, "If people don't read, there would be no motivation to compose." For me, reading is entertainment, is a window to take a look at others' life.
    I love "The Book Thief" as well! I still remember the shock when I first read it, and this book reminded me of the beauty of reading. Seeing Liesel had so much passion for reading made me cherish what I had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Library is one of the most interesting place to visit, I would say. I like to pick up books with a intriguing title. From enterprises readings such as The truth about IKEA, 3M's story, to classic reading which public give them high review i.e. Sherlock Holmes and authors like George Orwell and Alexander McCall Smith, as well as Maugham's The Moon and Sixpence.
    I mean, finding books that interest me isn't hard ( I always need to minimize the amount of books I borrow or my bags will be too heavy lol). For me, books can satisfy my curiosity about the world and things. Their belief or story can be realistic or I'd say suitable in society, some might not seems the same view as I originally hold. Luckily, the more I read through them, the more I appreciate the reason of the decision or choice.

    Therefore, I'd say books entertain me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe me, I was amazed when reading your comments about loving books and reading, especially when I almost lost my faith and persistence making my students, you guys, to keep reading! Your comments really make my day! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: The Moon and Sixpence

  The Moon and Sixpence is a novel released by W. Somerset Maugham, an English playwright, novelist, and short-story writer, in 1919. The ...