Saturday, April 16, 2022

The time keeper: Redefine time





Image1: The time keeper

Summary:

        The story's protagonist Dor is the man who invented the first clock on earth and tried to count the time. He was punished for measuring the greatest gift God has given to humanity, "time." He was banished to a cave for thousands of years and forced to listen to the begging voices of all those who followed him, who were against the clock and seeking more time: "If you can give me one more day, just a little more. Time..." Finally, the gods gave him a chance to be free, with a magic hourglass of time, teach the two people the true meaning of time, and save themselves from the fate of discovering time.

Reflection:

"Time" is fair to live beings or non-living things on the earth, and the elapsed time is the same. The difference is whether the existence of "time" has exacted and vital meaning to living beings or non-living things. Of course, "time" is also fair to human beings, and the reason is, of course, the same: because everyone has the same amount of time, not because of your status, gender, class, wealth... You don't buy time because you're rich, and you don't sell time because you're poor.

In Mitch Albom's new book "The Time Keeper," "time" is a fair term because the protagonists in the book are in different time and space environments and are experiencing completely different events. So, some people pray for time to pass faster; some people pray for time to give a little slower; some people feel that time is not enough; some people think that the existence of time is meaningless for them-in. In other words, some people want A little more time, and some people don't want it at all. As the two main characters, Sarah and Victor, are conversely situations. The girl Sarah considers she has too much time. She does not seem to like her body. I get the impression that she is stressing about a boy and what she will wear. The rich older man, Victor, learned from an authoritative doctor that he would die soon due to his illness. At the moment when he bravely asked the doctor, "How much time do I have?" I still have many things to do!" However, everyone knows that He does not seem to have much time left. These two instances reveal that humans will give additional meanings in different stages. From my standpoint, the novel points out that humans should cherish every moment. To me, this philosophy is SUCH A CLICHÉ! I want to set a "GOAL" for different life stages. If I were the two main characters, I would come up with some thoughts as they did. Hence, it is obvious their goal led to this decision to define time. This thought was inspired by the paragraph below. 

Birds are not late. A dog does not check its watch. Deer do not fret over passing birthdays. Man, alone measures time. Man, alone chimes the hour. And because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear that no other creature endures. A fear of time running out." ― Mitch Albom, The Time Keeper

Image 2: Tuesdays with Morrie movie


I am addicted to this paragraph, showing how we should define TIME. Time could be slow and fast, depending on your purpose and mission. In the slow-paced lifestyle, I feel the nature creatures, including weather, wind, planet, and so on, in my garden. From childhood, we are taught that the human body has five senses. Equipped with my five senses, I explore the universe around me and call the adventure with my soul. I strongly sense that the greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. In the fast-paced lifestyle, I am fond of ambition and tired. I quickly get tired during the afternoon. However, my heartbeat was so strong when I was doing my addictive things. The plot reminds me of the movie “Tuesdays with Morrie,” which is the same American author Mitch Albom with this novel. I was so moved by each lecture that the professor gave. I often try to feel how it would feel when I am dying. Each time I think about death, I would be more determined to do the things I really want to do. Once we will all leave this world behind; we should live our own lives. Both these two pieces of literature show me how I should adjust my mentality.

All in all, you know what your purpose is right now; it is better than keeping the time properly. In the long-term, humans will all die. Do what you love to do. Hence, you only come to the planet on your life once. Then you will become the true timekeeper.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Joyceline.
    I am very interested in the topic of "Time" you mentioned this time. For me, 24 hours a day is always not enough, and I occasionally feel anxious and uneasy because of the rush of time, but your last A passage inspired me, "All in all, you know what your purpose is right now; it is better than keeping the time properly." Yes, the most important thing we need to know is our purpose in our journey in life and try our best to move towards this goal. However, as humans, we are always influenced by troubles and external noise, which will become stumbling blocks that hinder our progress. When we stay on the road for too long because of these stumbling blocks, we will only get further and further away from the goal, or maybe we will change our plans.
    In my opinion, our lives are actually timers. In this timer, we have to do our best to plan our life; as you said, we are the timekeeper of our own life, and as timekeepers, we can't determine the duration of our lives, but we can make our people's lives wonderful and meaningful by ourselves. From a profound aspect, time is actually controlled by ourselves because we can decide what kind of lives we like and are willing to live. Thus, don't be afraid of planning, arranging, even regretting; our lives have only one chance, live what you want and be who you are. o((>ω< ))o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Joyceline,
    Speaking of time, I have an interesting feeling of time related to space: The feeling of oppression sometime could force me making the most of the day while room of space are quite relief and comfortable. If space isn’t what I can control, longer mornings also could motivates me. I suppose that more hours with full energy gives me security to finish tasks I planned that day, they won’t be complete in pressure or rushing to give up details. If there is something I have proved, that is start early. Most things could expect when we try to notice them.

    I like your closing. Do what you love as you only live once. The true timekeeper knows where to put their time into. I have recently kept rethinking what influence my decisions. To not be lost, confused and misdirect.

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: The Moon and Sixpence

  The Moon and Sixpence is a novel released by W. Somerset Maugham, an English playwright, novelist, and short-story writer, in 1919. The ...