Saturday, April 16, 2022

Log 6, Anxious people

 

Hello, this is Carolyn again. Here comes my last log. There is one thing that I need to confess I haven't finished this book till now; thus, the story's primary purpose still needs to be figured out. However, I have gradually found what the author wants to convey through this book. As I mentioned before, this book uses the robbery incident as the main story, but the core point of the book is nine persons. Those nine persons have faced different difficulties, and audiences could view different life and perspectives through those descriptive ways, which are constantly refreshing to me, so I focus on the meaning behind words and try my best to get my head around those brand-new perspectives.

As I mentioned above, there are nine persons appeared in this robbery. Yes, eight hostages and one robbery. "Where are those hostages from? "How can a failed robbery have so many hostages?" I know that your head must pop up with many question marks, but keep reading; you will finally learn about that. So, just let me do the quick clarification of the whole story for you guys so far. A failed bank robbery, turning an apartment of people viewing into a hostage situation. The core description of the book is how those nine "anxious peoples" in this apartment from different family backgrounds and different life experiences save each other.

To sum up, the plot of this novel is very cleverly set, and the author "slyly" designed every detail. The story laid out some seemingly obvious storylines on the robbery scene, and the backstories behind every hostage were excavated simultaneously and slowly. From the author's description, we can infer that the robber is a newly divorced person or tempted to get divorced with two children, but we do not assume the gender of the robbery at first. Also, we can be sure that this is not an impulsive crime, but what is the reason for the crime? Perhaps most people will guess that it is because of money. Based on my knowledge, a married adult with two children who has been crawling around in society for many years would not have made such absurd and unplanned actions. Therefore, when I read it, I thought for a while, "If I was this character, what would motivate me to do such impulsive behavior? "As my consideration, it may be sourced from the fear of the unknown future, a broken dream, or perhaps love for the children. "You probably have someone in your life whom you'd do something stupid for ."After reading this, I understand the significance of this robbery, and the word confirmed the reason for this "robbery ."In the strict sense, this is not a robbery about money, fame, and fortune, nor a long-planned crime, let alone making fun of it as a farce. This indictment is about life's powerlessness, which is both accurate and helpless.

The author wrote his sharp and real-life perspective into my heart, especially the sentence, "Because how happy can anyone really be, all the time? How could there be time for that? Mostly we're just trying to get through the day.". It touched my innermost secret. We all know that emotions are the norm in life over time, and with age, we seem to continually and unconsciously "avoid" ourselves from being unhappy. I wonder whether anyone has the same mood and situation as mine, but what I want to convey is that the word is ultimately a reflection of my current position, especially the word "trying to get through the day ."

Day after day, I seem to lose my enthusiasm for life under unchanged life. There seems to be only a "TO DO LIST" that must be completed in my mind every day; moreover, there are only tasks in black on a white background in this list, no colors, which made my life so dull and exhausted.

Furthermore, I woke up every morning saying to myself is only, "Just get over it," rather than any energetic words. Thus, I found that I seemed to understand the robber's helpless—overwhelmed behavior when I saw this sentence. Just imagine, how could you adapt when all your plans and lives for decades have been the same, suddenly, all those have been lost overnight? Although we all "get through" our lives, this kind of life has a rule. A simple change has disrupted all plans or even suddenly vanished at one moment; this result is also unacceptable and may do anything insane.

However, I want to discuss this time that life is not perfect if this is an authentic wonderful life. Although everyone wants to be an ideal person, a quintessential life will be the most helpless regret of life. As the author said, "how happy can anyone really be, all the time?" Only by accepting our imperfections can we have a more prosperous life.


1 comment:

  1. Hello, Carolyn. This is Joyceline.
    “Only by accepting our imperfections can we have a more prosperous life,” a sentence reveals my self-core in my 21-birthday wish. In my 21-old journey, I wish I could accept different aspects of myself, including positive and negatives sides of me. From my perspective, wonderful memories consist of various moods. This could associate with “Inside Out,” a movie ending that divulges a fascinating memory enquire different emotions, including joy, sadness, anger, fear, and disgust. Induvial is embodied by distinct emotional characters helping us navigate the whole world. I also lose my enthusiasm for life under unchanged life. At the same time, this is the way to get a balance between work and life. Last weekend, I danced to the song “Wannabe,” which inspired me in high school. I felt energetic after doing the workout. Life seems tedious sometimes, but when you add some seasonings to it. You will be bound back and prepared to explore the new adventure in your life. I hope we can discover our enthusiasm again and again because you don’t know how incredible life can be.

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: The Moon and Sixpence

  The Moon and Sixpence is a novel released by W. Somerset Maugham, an English playwright, novelist, and short-story writer, in 1919. The ...